Monday, January 21, 2008

Chowderhead


by Paul Gardner

So what happens when you don’t follow the law? I set out to fully understand this after eating clam chowder less then two weeks into my month of attempting to living Leviticus. Only after eating dinner did I realize that clams are not allowed Lev 11:12 “Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you”.

The punishment for disobedience is laid out in Leviticus 26 with at least five increasing degrees of severity. It starts (v16) with “..I will bring upon you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever..” and increases (v30) to “I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars and pile your dead bodies on the lifeless forms of your idols, and I will abhor you.”

I know I am failing miserably at the 1% of law written in Leviticus that I am trying to keep and I can only image how bad it would be if I tried following everything. This passage is enough to give anyone that has disobeyed nightmares. I mean “pile your dead bodies” is pretty hard to misinterpret. I now have a new appreciation for the wrath of God, and clearly this is not the position that I would want to be in, but this is what I deserve.

It is save to say that today more then ever I am happy that Christ will intercede on my behalf because without that I am in big trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Paul, if you ever want help in experiencing "sudden terror", just let me know - always a brother with helping hands! ;-)